Hallmark House, located in Pekin, Illinois, is the subject of an Illinois Department of Health investigation involving the finding of asbestos in the building. Hallmark House, built in the early 1960's, is home to nearly 70 elderly residents.
In mid-April, the home contracted to have tiles removed and replaced in the laundry room area. The tiles were found to contain asbestos, an extremely harmful, cancer-causing material that was used frequently in construction prior to the 1980's. Hallmark House's administrator said last week that she was not told the tiles contained asbestos until last week. Evidently, an anonymous individual reported the asbestos tiles to the Department of Health in April.
The administrator's lack of knowledge regarding the asbestos does not save her from scrutiny. The Illinois Department of Public Health requires a licensed health inspector to check for asbestos before repairs or renovations are begun in older nursing homes such as Hallmark Home. Hallmark Home failed to inspect the tiles before work was done and now may face a heavy fine from the Department of Public Health.